Friday, October 13, 2017

What’s Your Vision?


I stole that headline from the most recent Toastmaster’s magazine, in which new International President Balraj Arunasalam shares his personal vision statement.

I was captivated by his article, not because of his vision statement - that is compelling to him alone. Rather, here’s what he said the vision statement does for him:

“This will help me gain clarity when I am confused, determine if my progress is in line with my vision and encourage me to make choices that propel me in that direction.”

Can my personal vision statement be “pizza?”

I have a vision board which is not the same thing as a statement in pictures. There’s a boatload of difference between a mature statement that propels you to make decisions where “the fruits of your future success depend on a clear view of where you want to go” versus a stick figure of a dog, colored in brown pencil, similar to what you probably have from your kid on your refrigerator plastered in place with a magnet.

“History is replete with examples of highly successful individuals: Walt Disney, Steve Jobs, Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Teresa and Albert Einstein, to name a few. All had grand visions – often scoffed at and ridiculed – and all had a massive influence on the world. They each made the world a better place because they had a personal vision and dared to pursue it. Why not you? Maybe your vision won’t change the world, but it can change your world,” writes Arunasalam.

The reason I love the idea of a personal vision statement is that I often lose my way. Sometimes I am gung-ho about moving myself forward, working my business like a pro, writing my book like it’s the next Bible and being grateful for all that I am and have. Other times, by 1pm I have closed my bedroom curtains, donned my pajamas and watched Kung Fu Panda for the 30th time, trying to forget there is a whole world outside spinning without me.  If I can let go of the guilt (of not doing or being enough that day) I am grateful for flannel (pajamas and sheets), delivery pizza and of course the creators of Kung Fu Panda, who have given me more joy than any delivery pizza.

Here’s what I think I need to include in my personal vision statement:
1.      That constant acts of kindness are a necessity (especially now);
2.      That I am the creator of my life and I can be or do anything I choose;
3.      That moving toward happy is not just a goal but a lifestyle;
4.      That I am intricately tied to the Universe whether I can see it or not;
5.      That consciousness shifts are necessary for me to heal myself, and help heal others.

So I think this is it for the first go-round:
“To seek continual shifts in consciousness so that I may always be an example of happiness and kindness, creating my life to be one of joy, reward, meaning, expansion and purpose to the best of my ability, allowing the unconditionally-loving Universe to work in its mysterious ways with full allowance on my behalf.”

I am going to continue working with this and honing it to be the very statement that helps me gain clarity when I am confused, determines if my progress is in line with my vision and encourages me to make choices that propel me in that direction.

Feels promising and hopeful.

PS: You might be curious about Arunasalam’s vision statement as the new International President of Toastmasters: “to lead by example, in both my personal and professional life, while continuing to invest in my own development to become an effective leader.”

No comments:

Post a Comment