Sunday, March 1, 2015

On Mindfulness and Presence

I am writing the section in Moving Toward Happy (MTH) about mindfulness and presence. Which, of course, reminds me to be mindful and present. This is not an easy task on a Sunday, of all things, because I'm thinking about what I need to do to jump out of the gate on Monday and get work done. I'm thinking about heading into the kitchen for a snack. I'm thinking I'd rather be watching a movie or reading - you know, the stuff that doesn't take as much brain power? It's Sunday, a day of rest.
Yet, I feel a sense of enthusiasm for writing. I'm thinking it's play and not work. I'm thinking it's the side of me that's coming out, come hell or high water, so I better make room for it. And the more I do it, the more present I am, the more mindful I become, the more I love what I am writing and what I hope to give to the world. I want to see the manifestation of all these years of hoping and wishing and dreaming and doing!
It's taking me ages to write because it's easy to find distraction and other things to consume my time. Why is it, I asked myself the other day, that I put other work ahead of my dreams? Author Steven Pressfield says in his book "The War of Art", the more you resist, the more important it is for your growth. MTH is reallllllllly important!
Being present and mindful taps into an ease and flow that you just can't find in a normal hour, when our brains are busy with what we need to get done, when we need to get it done and how we need to get it done. Bringing back our distracted, wandering minds each time we stop focusing on what is in front of us is a way to strengthen that mental muscle so we have a greater ability to see the beauty that is now, in front of us and feel ever more happiness, gratitude and appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment